Saturday, March 17, 2012

Making my own reduced-calorie foods

I'm making more of our foods lately, which gives me a lot more control over calories.

For example, I love chicken salad sandwiches at those corner bistros and delis. I just never know how calorific the chicken salad or bread can be unless by chance the company posts nutritional info. But you can't always know those are right.

So I've decided to make my own. I haven't broken down calories, but I know that I'm not putting too much
mayo or fattier dark chicken. Plus I choose to use a tortilla (around 110 calories) instead of a croissant or heavy artisan bread. I'm also adding some flavors that I enjoy.

My latest batch was made with chicken tenders, celery, sunflower seeds, orange-flavored dried cranberries and light mayo. I've used walnuts, apple chunks, cashews, cherry-flavored dried cranberries, carrots and spinach. It's really whatever I have in the refrigerator. Sharing some pics.



I don't really follow a recipe. I just cook up a skillet full of chicken and dice it. While it cools, I chop about two stalks of celery and sprinkle in cranberries (I'll chop them so they aren't so big) and nuts for texture and taste. I add light mayo to taste — for me that just enough so that the chicken is covered, but not dripping out with each bite. I like the jalapeno cilantro tortillas at Fresh & Easy, so I use those to wrap up my chicken salad. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment