Friday, March 9, 2012

Seriously, simple healthy meals can be awesome

I have a serious issue with cooking healthy. It seems to be so much easier to cook unhealthy. But maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

And that seems to be my problem. I focus so much on everything else, and I come last. I had to force a change, so I've been experimenting with healthier cooking, and you know, it isn't that hard.

My favorite has been cooking up homemade chicken soup. I called my mom for help. She doesn't cook with recipes. So I just tried stuff. I found I'm horrible at writing down recipes, too, but essentially I use chicken stock (less sodium than broth), chicken tenders (breast is healthier than thigh meat), carrots, celery, a little garlic pepper, egg noodles and cilantro. The amounts can vary to your taste. I'm light on the noodles (they expand a lot) and heavy on chicken and carrots. Cook up chicken with garlic pepper to taste and cube. Return to skillet and add a cup each of celery and carrots and saute to a texture you like (I like a little crisp; my daughter likes the veggies well cooked) with a dash of chicken stock. Meanwhile boil some noodles, don't let them get mushy. About a minute before they are done, drain. Place pot with chicken stock and warm. Add noodles, chicken, celery and carrots. Simmer. Add cilantro for added flavor. Yummy.

This lead me to try making other healthy food. Without cracking a cook book, I pulled out chicken, broccoli and red peppers. I pretended like I was making the soup except with broccoli and red peppers. It was so easy, quick and satisfying to my taste buds. It took about 10 minutes for the entire thing.

All I did was put some olive oil and then some chicken breast tenders in a skillet. Put a dash of garlic pepper on top. Flipped the chicken and then again, to ensure it was cooked by moist. About two minutes before it was done, I tossed in chopped broccoli and red peppers because I had them in the fridge and I like them. You can see the result in the pic. Yummy.

All I need now is to satisfy my sweet tooth with some strawberries and yogurt.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment