Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Liquid calories

I've been trying the exercise thing for a full four weeks now, getting at least 6 hours of exercise a week. The scale hasn't budged. I could say some of it is gaining muscle (I do think this is true), but I've not seen a real change in my body. Maybe it's too soon? Maybe I've got more work to do.

It's obviously time to seriously look at my eating and drinking habits. My caloric intake has to be growing faster than my workout calorie burn. And I hoped this wouldn't be an issue.

My food habits haven't changed much, with the exception of adding more veggies to my diet and cutting out the occasional take-out dinner. I still need to work on reducing some high-sugar foods, but I'm on the right track.

I'm thinking, with all the heat, I may be drinking too many high-calorie drinks. That smoothie, coffee drink or lemonade that seems so refreshing when it's 115 out isn't exactly without calories. Do I even want to know how many calories they have?

I'm not happy to realize this, but at least now I know where I need to focus my energy. So going forward, drink water first. If I need some flavor, add some lemon or make some green tea without sugar. And remember, smoothies and caramel fraps must be viewed as treats.

Hope this heat mellows out before my resolve falters. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment