Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Taking exercise more seriously

I think I need to think of exercise as my current job. I won't exercise 10+ hours a day like I worked, but I need to put more into it.

Yesterday I missed the cardio sculpt class by arriving two minutes late. The class was FULL. Would I be late for meetings? No!

OK I wasn't totally bad. I did jump on a stationary bicycle, but without an iPod, I could only manage 5 miles before getting bored. Hmmm. At work, I couldn't leave a project half done just because I forgot something at home. I'd either need to fetch it, find a suitable alternative or just do without.

Today was better. I showed up 2 minutes late again (oops!) to kick boxing. I'm blaming it on getting my water bottle, which is necessary for this sweaty class. At least there was a spot for me. When I wanted to ditch class 20-minutes in because it kicked my butt, I didn't. I did some instructor-modify moves to bring down my heart rate and keep from keeling over.

I also stayed for the pilates class. I did think of bailing. Would I leave just to avoid extra work on the job? No. So I can't do that to my body.

So my lesson: Give exercise your full attention that way you make the most of that precious 30 minute, hour or whatever that you really don't have to waste. If you aren't trying your best, you won't get the full benefits of that exercise. So before heading to bed, I'm making sure my yoga gear is ready, and that I have an iPod in the bag just in case the class is full.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment