Monday, August 15, 2011

My "jelly belly" motivation

So the most troubling thing about working out is seeing myself in the mirror. I HATE it! Surely I'm really not that FAT.

I'm within my "normal" weight, granted at the top. But damn it, I'm not ready to see my belly jiggle so much as I climb up and down from my step or jab at an invisible punching bag.

I'm trying not to be discouraged by my unflattering reflection. But all I want to do is hide. Who wants to see my jiggle? Not me. Maybe if I start wearing baggy shirts...Ugh.

I have to tell myself, I'm far from alone. We all hate parts of our bodies, even when we are skinny. And when we gain weight, we recall those "skinny" days thinking, "How could I think I was fat when I looked so good?" I think this way any time I see a photo from 10 years ago.

So I try to focus on what I like about myself. I like that my legs are strong. I like that my arms have yet to sprout wings. I like my eyes. I like that I'm finally doing something for ME.

These day I'm trying to use "jelly belly" to keep me going to class. It's not like it will disappear by itself. And honestly, I don't work out very hard with a DVD at home. And maybe by the end of the year, the jiggle in the mirror will be a distant memory. We can only hope. OK, I can make a date at the gym to make it happen.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment